A Complete 10-Step Sales Tax Permit Registration Process
We know you want to focus on selling on Amazon.com via FBA and not sales tax compliance. There may be several options, file for permits on your own, hire your CPA, go through an online service… The key is to have enough information to be able to evaluate what service is best for your situation.
Below are the steps in our process and costly mistakes to avoid when it comes to getting registered for sales tax permits.
Our Sale Tax Permit Process will take you through the steps to be able to collect and remit sales tax. There are many steps to the process and we have outlined them in our video below. The overview will help you effectively get through this process and back to selling on Amazon.com FBA.
The Top Costly Sales Tax Permit Application Mistakes to Avoid:
- Online Advice. Relying on what someone else did in a Facebook Group when they applied for a Sales Tax Permit is likely to lead you in the wrong direction and cause you costly mistakes. It’s simply not worth following their lead and dealing with the possibility of monetary penalties or being accused of sales tax evasion.
- Inaccurate Applications. Submitting a sales tax application online or via a PDF with mistakes, incomplete information or missing documentation are crucial errors that will cause delays to your application process, up to 1 to 2 months, costing you unnecessary financial penalties with interest.
- International Applicants without a Social Security Number. Not knowing how to submit an application without a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) will most certainly cause delays, especially for overseas Amazon FBA Sellers. We can help you fill out and file your applications right the first time.
- When To File, When Not To File. Not knowing which states to file right away or which states you need to wait to apply for sales permits and what your start date is, is best left up to the professionals at Sales Tax Systems in order to avoid fraud penalties and unnecessary audits.
- Foreign Registration/Qualification Mistakes. Not knowing which U.S. states require entities in the U.S. or internationally to foreign register/qualify in a state before or after you register for permits will lead to unwelcome surprises down the road.
- Forgetting/Not Knowing To Open Tax Accounts. You will need tax accounts opened in order to remit sales tax to each state’s Department of Revenue. Some states do this automatically, others require multiple steps that you need to make sure you get correct or otherwise your mistakes could lead to numerous problems in the near distant future.
Our Complete 10-Step Sales Tax Permit Registration Process:
Step 1. Order Permits. Choose Order on the link below and change the number in the product to the number of permits you want to order. State fees are separate and vary based upon the states you select. Total in all 25 FBA states is $302.00. You will be sent a separate payment link after your application is submitted.
Step 2. Review, Initial and Sign our Sales Tax Permit Service Process Agreement. Before we apply for your chosen sales tax permits, we will save in your Google Folder (that we will share with you) our Sales Tax Permit Service Process for you to review and sign. Our goal is to help manage expectations with all the steps before and after we apply for permits. We realize your next step will be to remit sales tax and there are some steps to make that happen. We will provide you with those steps! You will be able to sign the agreement with a digital signature.
Step 3. Complete Sales Tax System Application. You will receive an email with a sales tax system general application form to complete, via a secure online link. We provide access to a video overview to walk you through the application. You will be able to mark the appropriate checkboxes for the states you require, your start date with sales, and estimated sales amount per state. Once you select and submit, we will receive the application to review within 24-48 hours.
Step 4. Complete and Finalize Tax Permit Applications. Before we apply for your chosen sales tax permits, our team of experts will complete any extra steps that are required prior to submitting your application(s) for obtaining your sales tax permits.
Step 5. Payment of State Fees. You will receive an email with an itemization of any state fees, plus a payment link. You will also receive a list of next steps, including states that require additional steps after registration, to verify if you want us to move forward and apply.
Step 6. Apply for your Sales Tax Permits. The Sales Tax System team will prudently submit and track your applications to your chosen states, both online and by mail.
Step 7. Sales Tax Permit Summary Document. You will receive a comprehensive spreadsheet report in a secure Google Drive folder with all your sales tax permit information and the different stages each state is at. Some states we will have the permit, some states you will need to create a tax account (see Step 8).
Step 8. Next Step Documents. You will also receive documents within your secure Google Drive folder advising you which states you will need to open tax accounts in order to remit sales tax (and steps for those states). In most states, the tax accounts are opened automatically, but not all.
Step 9. Update Amazon Seller Central. Once you receive your permits from the states, you will be able to update your Amazon Seller Central Account tax settings with a “cheat sheet” that we will provide to you.
Step 10. Remit Sales Tax. We will introduce you to our preferred sales tax remittance partner who can assist with remitting sales tax in all states required. In order to remit, all your tax accounts will need to be set up (see step 8).
Q: What is your Time Frame to Apply for Permits?
A: The time frame in which you will receive your permits will vary from state to state, anywhere from 3 business days to 8 weeks after you have submitted completed applications and you have approved our Next Step Documents.
Q: What Support Will I Receive?
A: If you have any questions about the sales tax application process, email correspondence regarding the process is included in the service fee. If you have questions about being behind on sales tax, what you may owe, your best strategy moving forward, etc., we offer paid consulting sessions which are not included in the $75.00 service fee and require an additional charge.
Q: What Additional Steps are Required After You Apply for My Sales Tax Permits?
A: Step 8, our Next Steps Document, outlines the states that require additional steps after you apply for sales tax permits including foreign qualification if an entity. Sales Tax System has an update for each state with the state tax returns that are required in many states annually.
$75 Per State Sales Tax Permit Service (Available for Our Sales Tax System Clients Only): Register for Sales Tax System and Permits at this Link.