Amazon FBA Sales Tax Permit Registration Mistakes to Avoid
As an Amazon FBA seller, you realize that collecting and remitting sales tax is required. This means obtaining a sales tax license or permit to collect and remit sales tax in the states where you have sales tax nexus. Our goal is to help you avoid these costly sales tax permit mistakes made during the sales tax registration process. This is especially important since states have the list of Amazon FBA sellers and they are expecting sales tax compliance.
We have applied for thousands of sales tax permits for clients over the last several years and we wanted to share some key costly sales tax permit mistakes to avoid.
Top Sales Tax Permit Mistakes To Avoid
1. Are You Applying for a Sales Tax or Use Tax Number? Are you an out-of-state seller applying for a sales tax number or an in-state seller applying for a sales tax number? Each state is different. In some states, it is very clear, if you are an out-of-state seller, you are applying for a use tax permit, some states they combine sales/use tax as one option. Every checkbox takes you down a pathway and may come back to haunt you when audited; just make sure you get it right from the start.
2. Not Taking into Account Time Frames. If you are an international seller without a SSN, these states will require you to MAIL in a sales tax application, Minnesota, Texas, and Wisconsin. The challenge, with those three states, is the time frame may range from 2-8 weeks. This means you will continue to pay sales tax, plus penalties and interest out of your own pocket until you have a license to collect. Any mistakes causing a sales tax application to be rejected may take up to 8 weeks before you find out from the state. This is how long a typical rejection letter takes. Apply before October, or you will pay 10% out of your own pocket when you sales increase 3-5X during November-December.
3. Not Knowing that Many States are a Multi-Step Process. When you apply for a sales tax permit in Florida, you will receive a letter. You can’t create a tax account until you receive that letter. Without a tax account you can’t automatically remit sales tax. Indiana, Maryland and New Jersey are similar with their process. Connecticut will mail you two letters 10 days after applying. One with electronic options to file, and the second with a PIN, which you will need to access the electronic filing area (like what a bank will send you). This makes it almost impossible for foreign sellers without a U.S. address and scanning service (which we offer).
4. Not having a U.S. Mailing Address- Foreign Sellers. We recommend all international sellers now consider using a U.S. mailing address for the states in which they have permits vs their home country address. The main reason is issues with permits and any important updates going to a foreign address. Most states don’t pay attention to the proper postage and eventually the permits are returned and you may never see them, much less any updates of future sales tax due. Finally, changing your address, moving…if you forget to update every state, that could be a disaster. We do have a US address service if you need support. Go to this link to learn more about our U.S. business address services.
5. Not Foreign Qualifying/Registering and File Annual State Tax Returns as Required. This is a hot every changing subject. As you may know, many of the states will have you complete a nexus questionnaire after you register, to determine if you have nexus (a presence) for income tax purposes also. If so, this means your business must foreign qualify or register within the state and file a state income tax return. This varies state by state, depending upon your type of business structure. Some states even require a sole proprietorship to file a state income tax return (but foreign qualification only applies to legal entities. Foreign entities are NOT exempt. Even if there is a tax treaty with your country, that is only at the FEDERAL level, not STATE LEVEL. One state requires foreign qualification BEFORE you are able to apply for a sales tax permit. What happens the following year? A lot of steps come into play and support is strongly recommended. Go to this link to learn more about our Foreign Qualification Services.
There are other unforeseen issues/delays that only comes with experience. Georgia will not allow you to backdate the application for more than 6 months. Indiana wants to verify the business information and the State Tax ID number and access code you receive through the mail. Michigan requires a valid U.S. phone number.
Delays in applying for sales tax permits/getting registered are costly. The states are making updates and changes, but every month we are seeing more mistakes, and our goal is to help you avoid them.
Do you need support for getting into compliance with sales tax and need sales tax permits as one of your first steps? We are here to help.
Caution about the Competition
Over the last year, there have been several “sales tax permit” firms and CPAs attempting to provide this service, but you don’t want to be on the end of their experiment to figure out how to apply for permits in each state.
What Makes Sales Tax System Better
We have applied for thousands of sales tax permits, invested hundreds of hours on the phone with the different states’ department of taxation and revenue, and have internal notes, step-by-step on every state and they are updated weekly! We invest the time and money for our team to make these calls to the states and stay on hold for 30 to 60 minutes or more, on some occasions, to double check or clarify the process. Since our main company, NCP, has been in business since 1997 (over 21 years), we know the questions to ask the Secretary of State and Department of Revenue when it comes to foreign qualifications. Here is the big problem that happens to most: “You or another company may get the right answer to a WRONG question.” This happens often, and you will pay for that in the end. You want this experience on your side, and you will get what you pay for in the end. We know you want to build your brand and sleep well at night. Let us help you do that. As a previous member, you should know we have made dozens of important updates to our system over the last several months in many of these key areas.
Need support? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns or help required and we will follow up with the best services and solutions for you.